I always have future quilts of my own swirling in my head. And when Saturday & Sunday gave us over a foot of snow and huge drifts, I paused my Monday work for snow dyeing for a future idea.
My favorite fabric dyeing book is Color by Accident by Ann Johnston. She has seasonal dyeing projects in the back of the book using all her techniques. So I chose winter for snow dyeing. I was pleased the “recipes” were written for 1 yard pieces as that is what my head wanted.
But she doesn’t use snow-dyeing. So I took her ideas, twisted the thought with snow-dyeing, and hoped for a good result.
I don’t aim for accuracy with my fabric dyeing so each piece is a one-of-a-kind… doubtful I could repeat it.
Monday, I read the sections I needed in Ann’s book, planned, prepped, got out supplies, and worked on the dyeing process in my basement furnace room and trips out the garage to get buckets of snow. From 10:30 a.m. – 12:45 p.m. …. all 8 yards – 4 recipes of Ann’s – were set in the shower to dye.
The parfait recipe in a bucket.
For snow-dyeing I use trays for the fabrics so they can drip as the snow melts and let it set about 24 hours or when the snow is gone and I get back to it. Twenty-two hours for these.
Right after I added the snow & dyes.
8 hours later
On Tuesday morning, I rinsed all the fabrics in the basement and then ran them through rounds of the washing machine with hot water & synthrapol.
Ice Blue… I like this!
red & green layers
Ironed on Wednesday. I really need someone to hold them all up individually and take a photo. Each one is so different throughout the whole yard that a fold area just doesn’t give it justice.
The red – burgundy- fuchsia parfait… I goofed, mixed too much, forgot the top layer (HA!) and they are just more red than I’ll probably ever use. I have one piece that will be perfect for a winter sky. The black gradations were highly affected by the cold temps with the snow and are mostly teal & purple of varying degrees but quite modeled. I like them!!
Snow dyeing fabrics. Colors aren’t accurate as I took this photo with my phone and no flash.
On Wednesday since I knew that I could do better with the parfait and still wanted to try a black/gray gradations batch, I did those with Ann’s low-water emersion technique. Still in the basement room that is unheated so a bit affected by the cooler temps. Not gray… still a bit of purple but I’m just fine with all I’ve made. Those will be for another post. The fabrics still need ironed and photographed.
Fifteen yards dyed and every time I dye fabric I’m reminded how fun it is to dye fabric!
Read Full Post »