The last clue added the last row on the outside of the quilt. The soloist continued a pattern to the centers and the corners.
She also suggested piecing the backing from stash and I continued in my neutral pile. And you know …. there are still more fabrics in the bin! Her instructions included a bit of “sashing” on the back and corner posts. I did all of this in neutrals but many in the group did another design of colors with this piecing.
I wrote the label on one of the backing cornerstones before quilting.
Planning the quilting…. I took a photo of the complete top, printed it in black & white, and then used tracing paper over that master to draw some ideas on paper. In this photo, some is marked and I’m looking at thread ideas.
Next up… quilting!
Read Full Post »
Once I had my detail guidelines marked and the ideas mostly in my head and a bit on paper, I was able to load and quilt. I only got the detail quilting done and then the customer work was flowing in fast so I took it off my frame. A hard choice to make but I knew I had enough quilting done, plus added a few pins for basting, that I could put it aside.
I used a turquoise and purple variegated thread; Superior Rainbows 802 Brasilia Blue.
This was on & off my quilt hanging rack 20 or more times while other quilts were photographed!
Some of the detail quilting —
So then it waited from early March until August.
I took a week to quilt a baby quilt and finish this mystery quilt. The Olympics were on TV so I had that as my background noise a lot while I did the small fill-in quilting. This took a bit over 10 hours of quilting time. I quilted during the day a few hours at a time and 2 nights until 10 p.m. or after to finally get it done.
I knew my current bobbin was nearing the end as I was nearing the end of my quilting and prayed I’d make it without having to wind one more bobbin. I made it with this much left! Yeah! 10:20 p.m. #yawn
I had it just draped on a chair until a weekend when I could trim it and sew on the binding. I walked into my studio one day and it was like this and I just had to have a photo. I was so glad to finally have the quilting done on one of my own quilts.
I added the soloist turquoise for binding and once that was on, it had really completed it!
I really like this and I’m not sure I want to give it away now!
Pattern is available at Colourful Stitches — Symmetry Square it is an e-pattern. I suggest it!! No special tools needed.
Read Full Post »